Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Short-Term Rental?
A Short-Term Rental, also known as a vacation rental, is a rental of legally-permitted dwelling unit for periods of less than 30 consecutive days. The rental can be for the entire home, accessory dwellings such as casitas, or limited to one or more rooms. A Business License and a Short-Term Rental License are both required prior to advertising and renting your property.
Who needs to apply for a Short-Term Rental Permit?
Any owner, or agent on behalf of the owner, renting a residential property for a period of thirty (30) days or less is required to apply for a Short-Term Rental License. Failure to register will be the sole responsibility of the property owner.
What if I do not obtain a Short-Term Rental License?
Failure to meet the requirements of the Short-Term Rental Program, per section 3.25 of the La Quinta municipal code, may result in enforcement actions. These actions may include a notice of violation, citations or any legal remedy necessary.
What is the Lodging Occupation Tax (LOT)?
This is a tax in the amount of $4.50 per room night administered by the Town. It is seperate from the State collected Sales Tax you are also responsible for. Your online advertising platform (Airbnb & Vrbo) may collect the state sales tax, but they definitely do not collect the Town's Lodging Tax.
When is the Lodging Occupation Tax due?
Payments are due no later than 15 days after the end of a reporting quarter. Each quarter is three months long. Therefore, taxes are due on April 15th, July 15th, October 15th and January 15th each year. If there was no rental activity during a quarter, you are still required to submit the completed form. If no forms are submitted, the Town has the right to assess you an estimated tax amount due.
How is penalty and interest calculated on late payments?
There is no interest at this time. The penalty for late payments is 15% of the tax due in the applicable reporting period.
Do I also need to obtain a business license?
Yes. You will need a town business license under the same account related to the rental property. You may not use a business license related to other activity independent of your Short-term Rental business. Accounts related to business other than short-term renting will have a seperate license. You will also need a State of Colorado Department of Revenue issued sales tax license for your business before you apply for an STR license.
What is the cost of a business license?
There is an initial of $50 regardless of when you apply. The annual renewal fee is also $50 due by the end of each year, at the time of expiration.
How much does a Short-Term Rental License cost?
The initial cost is $350 per property. Thereafter, the renewal fee is $200 per property due by the end of the year, when the license will expire. If your license expires, you may be required to start over with the initial license fee.
Does my short-term rental license apply to multiple properties?
No. You must obtain a separate license for each property.
Do I have to display my license; and if so, when?
Yes. The license must be posted in a conspicuous place within the short-term rental unit at all times.
The STR application requires me to provide letters for neighbor notice. How do I do that?
The El Paso County Assessor’s website is a helpful tool for identifying neighboring properties and getting owner mailing addresses. You can start by inserting the address of the property you want to license. Find it here: This site includes a measuring tool that will help you identify properties within 150 feet of the STR to be licensed as required by the new ordinance. Once you have compiled a complete list of applicable properties and have addressed stamped envelopes containing the required notice to each surrounding property owner, you should deliver the envelopes to Town staff for mailing.

If the neighbor property that is adjacent has no dwellings on it, does the STR owner still have to provide notice? If the adjacent property does have a dwelling on it, but is more than 150’ away, does the STR owner still have to provide notice? Is the 150’ for the dwelling or the property, itself?
The notice is for the neighboring property regardless of whether there are dwellings or not. The placement of dwellings also is irrelevant.

Can the letter be hand-delivered to the neighbor?

No, per the town ordinance, the letters must be sent out by Town Hall staff so that staff can verify that all required neighboring property owners were properly noticed. This approach is also necessary to establish the formal date of the mailing, and in turn, determine the proper response time.

Is the Town working with Airbnb or Vrbo?

No. We do not have a contract with Airbnb or Vrbo. They do not collect or remit tax to the Town of Green Mountain Falls on behalf of property owners.
What happens if I am found in violation and what are the penalties for rentals not in compliance with the municipal code?
You may receive fines, and/or the potential for modifications, suspension or revocation of Business License, and/or Short-Term Rental License. Violations, failure to license or remit taxes may be punished in Municipal Court.
Can I pay by credit card?
Yes. We accept all major credit cards. There is a credit card convenience fee added to your total upon checkout.
How do I amend a return?
Please e-mail letting us know you need to file an amended return. In the email please include:

1) What town the amendment is for along with your six digit license / account number, and owner name

2) Period you need to amend (i.e. Q1 2020 form due Apr. 15th)

3) If you overpaid or underpaid your original form

4) Brief explanation as to why the form needs to be amended

Once we receive this email we will review your account and send you further instructions.

What types of assistance can MUNIRevs provide to me?
MUNIRevs can assist you with all your system and account questions. Whether you have a question about your account or technical questions about how to do something in MUNIRevs, please reach out to our support team. We can always reach out to the Town on your behalf if we need their assistance with one of your questions. You can reach MUNIRevs at and by phone at (888) 751-1911.
Where are my tax forms? My Action Center is empty. 
Your tax forms will be available on the 1st day of the month following the last day of the tax period. For example, for quarterly filers, the Q3 2020 tax forms will be available in your Action Center on October 1, 2020. If you do not see the forms you expected, simply contact MUNIRevs support for assistance.
Can I manage multiple properties with one login?
Yes - to do so, click Add accounts from your user login under Manage Your Account(s). You will need your 6 digit Account Number and the Activation Code to connect to an existing property record.
Can a property have more than one user?
Yes, each property can have an unlimited number of users. Each user is required to provide the 6 digit Account Number and the Activation Code to be authorized to connect to an existing property record. 
I did not receive or I misplaced the letter with my activation code. What do I do?
Contact MUNIRevs or by phone at (888) 751-1911 for assistance. You will need to confirm account details to be verified for the account. To protect the security on property accounts, you will need written (e-mail) permission from a registered owner or officer of the property for us to provide you with a new activation code. 
Can I file a Zero File tax return through MUNIRevs?
To file a zero file tax form, select your tax form from your Action Center. Then, if you made 0 bookings for the period being filed, simply sign the form and submit, showing 0 nights booked.
What payment types are accepted by the City through MUNIRevs?
The City accepts ACH Debit, or e-check as well as the following major credit cards: Visa, Mastercard and Discover. 
Can I schedule a payment in MUNIRevs?
For your security, MUNIRevs does not store any payment information in the system. You will need to enter your desired payment information each time you check out. 
How do I change the User on a Property?
All new users need to register, just as you did, by going to the home page ( They will click on the "Go" button under "New Users". They will also need the 6 digit Account Number and Activation Code for the property.
I forgot my password. What do I do? 
From the Log In page, click the “Forgot your password” link and follow the instructions that will be e-mailed to the User’s registered e-mail address.
Do I have to login to MUNIRevs to see my alerts and reminders?
No. All alerts are e-mailed to your authenticated e-mail address. When you login to the system, you will also see any open alerts that need to be addressed in your Action Center. 

For Assistance, Contact 
MUNIRevs Support
(888) 751-1911

When contacting support, be sure to include the jurisdiction (Green Mountain Falls) and your account number in all emails or voicemails. This will help us assist you as quickly as possible. Thank you!